Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Unit 4: Production management report

Planning
I started planning my PMP by coming up with several different ideas. My original idea was to film a lightsaber fight in the dunes of either Redcar or Hartlepool beeches. The fight would feature the protagonist mainly running from the antagonist as they ran and fought through the dunes.
Another idea I had were to make mock movie trailers of specific genre’s which parodied all the tropes of the specific genre’s they were about, for example if it were an action movie there would be explosion, guns, corny one liners, terribly developed romances.

My third idea was to make a music video but I was indecisive of what song to make a music video for. I narrowed it down to two songs, Kiss from a Rose by Seal or “Never Gonna Give you Up” by Rick Astley.

The idea I decided on was to make a new music video for “Never Gonna Give you Up”, the story for this new video was based on a slightly different take on the lyrics of the song,  where the singer is stalking a girl after they bump into each other. The story is slightly inspired by the music videos for Robbie Williams “Candy” and Maroon 5’s “Misery”. Every time that “Rick” tried to woo the female character she would repeatedly say no to his advances but he would keep trying until the female character got progressively violent hitting him before she finally unveiled a restraining order.
However when I was making the Pitch to the rest of the film students and the make-up students I was convinced to alter the story slightly so that instead of “Rick” being progressively more injured by the female character instead every time he would try to speak with her he would injure himself in his excitement.

Two of the Make-up students volunteered to work on my film Abbey Victoria Waugh and Sophie Brignall. I met with them individually to discuss the notes and the research they had performed into the fashion styles from the 1980’s

Once I had selected my idea I had to research other songs from 1980’s in order to understand the codes and conventions of music videos from that time period including Rick Astley’s other songs. Then I decided to form a production crew. The members I chose were Matty Dickens as Director of photography, Jess Bramfitt as Script Supervisor, Matthew Taylor as Assistant Director with myself as the Director.   

Once I had performed all the research and formed a production crew I then started to scout for actors, I looked through the acting students. I decided to use Connor Honeyman and Beatrice Andrea But I did consider using Dylan Rudd, once I had chosen the actors I contacted them to see if they were interested. Which there were because they came into 224, Matthew and I told them about the premise for the film and the characters, and they were willing to take part in the film.

The day of filming was to be the Fourth of April 2017; the morning of that day was slightly hectic as I had misplaced a prop and there were several other problems as well but thanks to the rest of my crew I was able to calm down and get everything in order. We shot three scenes and a voice over. The first scene that was shot was where “Rick” (Connor) the male character sees “Betty” (Beatrice) the female character chatting with her friend when someone gives Betty his number but she tears it up and in his excitement Rick smacks his face off a metal beam when he looks up he sees that Betty and her friend has left. The second scene we shot was where Rick was pinning up a “Board of Love” but he falls off of the chair he was standing on and breaks his arm.
The third and final scene we filmed that day was the scene when Rick and Betty first bumped into each other.

The second day of filming it was mainly doing pick-ups from the first day of filming such as showing Rick walking away after he first bumped into Betty and the scene when he fell off of the chair he is shown in pain clutching his arm. Then we filmed the second scene of the video when Rick was spying on Betty and another one of her friends with binoculars but when he is spotted he runs away but trips up because he was still holding the binoculars up to his face, Gaining a bruise on his face.

The third day of filming we filmed the last two scenes of the video where Rick is in a wheel chair but when he sees Betty walking nearby he stands up forgetting the cast on his leg so he falls over on to a crash mat borrowed from the dance studio. The second scene shot that day was in the upstairs beauty parlour in SRC 2 the reason for filming in there is because it resembles a hospital room this was the last scene of the film.

After much back and forth about what time and day the actors and crew were available to film, I was finally able to pin down a date it was during the May half term holiday on the second of June, unfortunately two members of my crew were unavailable due to illness and family commitments so I had to ask Chloe Handley to come in. the first scene we shot was when Rick after seeing Betty drop a scarf while crossing the road goes to pick up the dropped scarf but he fails to notice the oncoming car and then he gets hit by said car breaking his leg the last scene we shot of the video was a pick up from the previous filming day showing betty walking into SRC 2 from Rick’s point of view.
We wrapped at five Pm on the dot. And now it was just a matter of completing the editing process.

I completed the editing process on the 12th June with the help of Taylor Henderson, Matty Dickens, and Kelly Fairhurst.

To conclude I think that this project was a tremendous success and that the final edit of the completed video is my best editing yet I believe.

Thank for reading this report and I hope you enjoy the completed video.    

No comments:

Post a Comment