Others may interpret Star wars just to be Science Fiction but as stated before the franchise is science fantasy due to the mystical presence of the force.
The attraction of Star Wars I suppose is the escapism which is apart of uses and gratification model, the ability to see new vast worlds, the characters, the battles and the music, and the ability to interact with others about theorising about future releases.
Star Wars' online presence is massive with social media, games, videos on YouTube such as trailers interviews with cast and crew. The fandom is also represented via cosplay which is where people dress as their favourite characters from films. And then there are the fan made productions, there is even a yearly competition for the best lightsaber choreography in a fan film I am not even joking. A competition winning example is below.
Active spectatorship is where a member of the audience actively agrees with preferred reading of the film an example of this would be the film "Avatar" which has the message of that we shouldn't interfere with indigenous species and their natural resources. Passive spectatorship is where an audience member just watches the film for what it is or could be influenced by it such as the James Bolger incident where 2 young children brutally murdered an even younger boy after watching Child's Play 3. This was seen to have an effect on their psyches this event allowed people realise that some films may have an adverse effect on certain members of audiences. I would say that when it comes to Star Wars I am a mixture of both because when it comes to watching the films, I just that but I also research the expanded universe material to learn more about the franchise.
Before the Latest Star wars film came out I interacted with the online media by watching the trailers or interviews with the cast and crew.
I own at least three releases of the original trilogy one was the 1997 VHS special editions, the 2004 DVD release and 2011 blu-ray release. and I have two versions of the Prequel Trilogy.
Star Wars has Several Facebook pages for it's various things Such as it's main page for Facebook and twitter, Star Wars Rebels, and for the charity events that Disney and Lucasfilm has set up for advertisement. I prefer to watch the saga on Blu-Ray due to the Better quality of visuals and audio.
No comments:
Post a Comment