Monday, 19 October 2015

Unit 29: Task 2 - Music Video Analysis 1


The Music videos that I am analysing are New Divide by Linkin park and "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran. They were directed by Joe Hann and Peter Jackson respectively. Joe Hann is Linkin Park's DJ so he would know what the band would want and Peter Jackson commissioned "I See Fire" to tie-in to the second Hobbit film "The Desolation of Smaug". The genre for "New Divide" is rock music and "I See Fire" is folk music. Also the "I See Fire" music video also has footage of Sheeran in the studio and those in the editing booth watching Sheeran Record the song.


The relationship between lyrics and the visuals for "I See Fire" is that it shows not only the artist but shots from the Movie in which the song was commissioned for however the song is only relevant for the last ten minutes of the movie. Similarly "new Divide was also a tie-in to a movie however it relevant to almost all of the movie.





The video does cut to the beat as when the song's pace changes the editing slows down as well but the effects are still elaborate, for example the use of thermal cameras and other things and when it is just music and not the vocals playing the video focusses on the musicians at 1:45 it cuts to the drummer and then the DJ. It also cuts to the keyboard player several times but that is just as the lyrics start again. This happens because that's when the music starts again.
The relationship between the musics and the visuals for "I See Fire" is that the when the pace of the music slows down so does the music and the solo instrumental parts are included but as I said before Sheeran still playing them and this is seen with close-up shots and mid-shots of Sheeran and the instruments he plays



The record company is looking to sell this track as a movie tie-in, for example there are multiple shots from the movie which are blended into video itself and the drummer of the band is wearing a shirt or a jumper that has the movie's sub-title "Revenge of the Fallen" on the back of it. The image of the band Linkin Park being offered is that of a rock band. The video relates to previous videos by the artists in that it is a movie tie-in to a Transformers movie directed by Michael Bay and that the editing is fast and music is fast as well with slow acoustic moments and it does not represent a change of image for the band. And the record company for "I See Fire" is trying to sell the track by having shots from the movie that song was comissioned for and the image of Ed Sheeran being offered is that of a muscician just singing an emotional song. This song doesn't really relate to other songs by the artists because most of his songs are Pop music such as "Thinking Out Loud" however one motif remains in that Sheeran definately prefers to have an accoustc guitar as the main instrument



The music video has intertextual relationship with the second live-action Transformers movie "Revenge of the Fallen." they are used to advertise each other as the music video has various shots from the movie and the song was used in the end credits of the movie so they allow both the artists and the movie to get more attention as it were. And "I See Fire" was commisioned for the a Movie and this is shown by having various shots from the movie taken and added where appropriate to the music video and the track is played in the end credits for the Movie.



I would have to say that music video for "New Divide is mostly performance based due to the large amounts of effects and pacing there are small elements of a narrative but if there is meant to be a narrative it is not a concise one. On the other hand While "I See Fire is still performance based the narrative is mush more clearer



To conclude I would have to say that both music videos are definitely a ones meant to be movie tie-in track but have two completely different genres one being rock music and the other folk music.




(Please note that the version of New Divide that I was analysing has been deleted due to copyright)

No comments:

Post a Comment